18 Days Trekking Via Sugapa Village
Day 1: I recommend you arrive in Bali on an early flight to make best use of the day. In the evening there will be a welcome dinner. If you follow my instructions you won’t have to rearrange your gear to leave your flight bag. You should try to catch a nap.
Day 2: 11.00 PM check out. Yes, that’s 11 PM. We’ll be flying to Timika on the West Papua island at 12:15 AM. At 7:00 AM you’ll arrive in Timika. You’ll enjoy a breakfast, have a 2nd gear check, since Timika is the last place you can purchase some items that you might have misplaced or forgotten.
Day 3: You’ll take off in a small charter flight from Timika to the Sugapa-Bilogai airstrip. You’ll be taken to a local official’s hut where we’ll hire porters and distribute all of our gear. You’ll travel here by Go-Jek, the Indonesian motorcycle taxi. Hang on tight for the trip from Sugapa to the Muara river, where we’ll continue on foot to Suanggama, the last village we’ll be staying in.
Day 4: Trekking from Suanggama to Camp I
Day 5: Trekking from Camp I to Camp II (Enda Tsiga)
Day 6: Trekking from Camp II to Camp III (Ebay) [pronounced E-bai]
Day 7: Trekking from Camp III to Camp IV (Nasidome)
Day 8: Trekking to Carstensz Base Camp along the lakeshore.
Day 9: We’ll take off in the dark for our climb of Carstensz Pyramid, Puncak Jaya, the highest point of the Oceania continental group. We’ll spend the night again at basecamp.
Day10: Basecamp – Nasidome camp
Day11: Nasidome – Enda Tsiga [passing Ebay – making good time downhill with lighter loads]
Day12: Enda Tsiga – Camp I Riverside
Day13: Camp I Riverside – Sugapa
Day14: Fly out to NABIRE in small planes
Day15: fly to Bali via Kaimana-Ambon-Makassar or Jayapura (route depends on available flight and day returning). Some flexibility is required because we’re not exactly certain how long travel will actually be in these remote and primitive conditions. Hence the reserved days, below.
Day 16-18: Reserved days for bad weather, flight delay, etc. It’s an excellent idea to get a flight out on the 19th day, and have a relative or friend who can make a change for you and add a couple days if they do not get a confirmation message from you upon your arrival in Nabire or Bali. Bali is a beautiful place to spend a few days relaxing, with excellent scuba diving and water sports.
Included in trekking expedition cost:
- All required permits in Indonesia, Jakarta and Papua
- Airport transfers in Jakarta/Bali and Timika or Nabire
- Accommodation based on twin share in Bali, Timika, Nabire and camping
- Domestic flights (between Bali,Jakarta, Timika, Nabire as per itinerary)
- Chartered flight (between Timika, Ilaga, Nabire, Sugapa as per itinerary)
- Meals as per itinerary (B: Breakfast, L: Lunch, D: Dinner)
- Camping, dining, and cooking equipment (incl. cutlery)
- Camping gear (shared tent, kitchen equipment, dining tent,serving table, chairs)
- Experienced mountain guide, cook & field assistant
- Satellite Phone for guide’s group daily report and some emergencies
- Fixed rope maintenance on Carstensz Pyramid wall
- Porters up to 17kgs per client (that’s 37 lbs, pack as per instructions)
- Basically most expenses Bali to Bali
Not Included in trekking expedition cost:
- Airfare to Bali and return to your home location
- Overweight on all flights
- Airport tax (about USD $20, but must be paid in Rupiah)
- Personal climbing and camping equipment
- Extra food and beverages (outside provided meals)
- Personal expenses (laundry, phone call, hotel minibar, SIM cards, etc)
- Evacuation or rescue cost
- Any additional expenses due to flight delay or cancellations
- Additional days in Bali waiting for flights home, etc.
- Indonesia Re-entry Visa USD $25/person – Visa Upon Arrival
Expedition by Helicopter/Private Helicopter
Day 1: Arrival in Denpasar Bali
Day 2: Fly from Bali to Timika
Day 3: Fly from Timika to Basecamp
Day 4: Acclimatization at Basecamp
Day 5: Summit Day
Day 6: Fly to Timika
Day 7: Fly to Bali
Day 8: Depart Bali
See Trekking Itinerary above for more details.
Additional Inclusions for Helicopter
- Helicopter from Timika to Basecamp
- Helicopter from Basecamp to Timika
Booking Your Trip:
If you’re ready to go, fill out the form below, and respond to the email to get started.
Register for Adventure Travel and Expedition Newsletter Here: